Brummie drivers bid a fond farewell to the Perry Barr flyover – with some saying it should never have been torn down.
They spoke as the A34 structure was being reduced to rubble over the weekend after 50 years linking Great Barr, Sutton Coldfield and the Black Country with Birmingham city centre.
There were some delays for drivers in Perry Barr as the work continued on Saturday afternoon, February 6.
It is being demolished as part of the regeneration ofthe area ahead of the Commonwealth Games in 2022. Bulldozers and demolition crews moved onto the site late on Friday night.
On BirminghamLive’s Facebook page, some expressed their sadness and anger at the iconic structure being obliterated.
Gary Danks wrote: “Just wait for the massive tailbacks…! Reduced traffic flow as traffic that would normally flow freely will be stopped at traffic lights.”
Rob Ellis was more scathing, saying: “What collection of choice idiots decided that!!.
“Have they ever driven a car in Birmingham, let alone the rush hour at Perry Barr, or even travelled as a passenger on a bus which will be now stuck in the same traffic jam?”
Brian Tippins posted: “Stupid decision – not the first by Birmingham Council. ”
Philip Thompson said: “It was there to keep the traffic flowing at that junction, now I suppose back to queuing in the rush hours. Bad decision in my book.”
Paul M Cee wrote: “They must be nuts taking the flyover away. Watch the tailbacks and massive delays to bus services .”
And Brian Morrall agreed, saying: “It truly seems like a backwards plan. Unless it was proved that it was dangerous or impossible to maintain, then surely there was no reason to get rid of it?”
Craig Canning wrote: “Rule number one: don’t fix something if it doesn’t need fixing!”
Chris Lambert said: “Used to drive many times over the flyover, will be sad to see it go as it’s been there 50 years serving motorists.”
Mo Khan said: “Waste of taxpayers’ money. That flyover had endured 50 years, it could’ve gone on for a bit longer. Government and council really know how to waste people’s hard-earned money.”
Some local people had tried to fight the demolition and their crusade even reached the courts, with a judge ruling in favour of it being torn down.
The demolition is part of a regeneration scheme for the area which will see more than £500 million invested and 5,000 new homes created.
Council leader Coun Ian Ward previously defended the demolition decision. He said in 2019: “There are a whole host of reasons why it makes sense to take the flyover down.
“It’s been asked, how are we going to get people out of their cars and on to more sustainable forms of transport? “The way you do that is you make it easier for public transport, and you make it more difficult for the private car.
“That’s the world we’re going to be entering into. You speak to any of the young people who are outside this building [Birmingham Council House] every Friday protesting about climate change, they will all tell you one-third of our CO2 emissions are created by transport. We will have to do something about that going forward.
“This is really the first example of changes that are going to have to happen across the entirety of the city in order to encourage people to get out of their cars and either onto public transport or cycling and walking. And the flyover, I’m afraid, is part of that argument, and part of a greener future for all of us in Birmingham.”
Birmingham City Council said it would have gone ahead, regardless of whether or not Birmingham had won the Commonwealth Games, which are due to be based at the nearby Alexander Stadium in July 2022